1#
发表于 2012-3-1 14:51:40 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
描述
不好意思,这个嘛,谁有空英文好可以帮我看看文章??
我蛮需要帮忙的……
没办法的话也没关系的,不过还是问问以防万一

先谢谢大家了!
这是prompt
How useful are the terms and/or models by which we know the universe? For instance, what good is it for us to speak in terms of “planets,” or of the “big bang,” or of the origins of the universe? What are some implications of such terms, models or ideas? Do they aid in our understanding, or oversimplify things? Engage sustained, specific examples from course material to make your argument.

The Tool of Science

In such a vast world as the universe we live in nowadays, many thing are out of our short reach. Through discovery, humanity has found that the universe has been expanding, and by that discovery, I would presume the result that there might be less then none possibility for humanity to know the whole universe. Because it is hard to understand the universe as a whole, humanity created terms to classified and model to study about the universe, trying every possible way in order to make the universe make more sense. However, are these classifications that human invented in fact useful? My answer to that is yes.

When most of us were young, we learned about the “big bang,” we learned about the sphere which we lived on is called “earth,” we learned that universe has “solar system” that contains sphere collection of rock and many other elements, which revolves around the “sun,” that they are called “planet.” However, what we learned may not have been the same as what people before us have learned. In Professor Wil Van Breugel’s lecture “Mask of Universe: Cosmologies since the beginning of time,” professor Breugel show the student how our view of world have changed from a deity-based magic century, to the remote God of mythic century, to nowadays where human discovered themselves were never to be the center of the universe, the Science century. From all these time, humanity changed over and over—big bang theory only happened in science century, the magic century believed the world to be made by all kinds of deities on the world, the mythic century say that a single God created everything. In reality, the universe itself has not changed much. It is the knowledge that increases in coordinates with time, definition and perspective that transformed as people moved on to a new generation. Thus, no matter how humanity changes, the planet is still a planet itself, Pluto will still be a sphere that revolves around the sun just like earth does, either with or without the fact that we consider it to be a planet or not (Core discussion). If we look at the universe this way, there is no point whatsoever in giving terms, definition or trying to find a model for the universe.

However, scientists are like children, full with curiosity, even if there is always knowledge to learn, as described by Descarte (Hothem). As there is countless knowledge to learn, too much that without the help of some “tool,” scientist might not be able to possibly figure out a single aspect of the wide universe. Classification is one of the tools that scientist use to organize subjects: Plants, animals, types of organism, kinds of bacteria, etc. Classification helped scientist name the object of study, giving them a “guidance” to follow. Although sometime guidance is only meant to be of help, not to be fully rely on, where as people usually would have a hard time understanding this idea, scientist also do sometime. As scientists rely on classification to understand how to connect things that are completely different together, they overuse and create classifications that are awfully absurd. Some classification in the old time became bias and racist, like Linnaeus’ Systema Naturae, where Linnaeus describe the human race by skin color and (his ideas of) characteristics (Hothem).

Moreover, “laws of nature are not perfect for the laws of man,” (Viney) the concept of evolution pose a challenge to classification since organisms are not set in form as time moves on (Hothem). But challenge creates a force to change and shift, science also “evolve” with time, so is classification being improve as scientists learn more about the universe. By the recent days, classification has become a lead for us to understand the world we live in, each organism, and every inch of the land.

于是还在写当中……

主题

好友

积分

百度一下,你不知道;google一下

精华
帖子

荣誉管理

2#
发表于 2012-3-1 14:58:08 |只看该作者
什么文章?什么方面的?

主题

好友

积分

为了你,不曾改变

精华
帖子
种族
梦幻之龙

荣誉管理

3#
发表于 2012-3-1 15:00:44 |只看该作者

回 1楼(闪光) 的帖子

有点难说
“How useful are the terms and/or models by which we know the universe? For instance, what good is it for us to speak in terms of “planets,” or of the “big bang,” or of the origins of the universe? What are some implications of such terms, models or ideas? Do they aid in our understanding, or oversimplify things? Engage sustained, specific examples from course material to make your argument. ”
这是我们的prompt

主题

好友

积分

把拼图打碎了以后有一种想拼起来

精华
帖子

荣誉管理

4#
发表于 2012-3-1 15:25:09 |只看该作者
这是啥……作业么……

那么问题是啥……改语法?改文采?还是改结构、逻辑?
专业背景大家都没有……
#交换荔枝盒企划启动!! ↑仍在不间断更新着~欢迎去转一转哦>w< I looked at him, and I saw myself. —— Hiccup

主题

好友

23万

积分

=w=好无聊~

精华
帖子
种族
风龙
5#
发表于 2012-3-1 16:17:44 |只看该作者

Re:英文!!!急!

好晕。。。完全看不懂,难道是试题?
6#
缓存信息已失效

主题

好友

积分

丿 I&nbsp;&nbsp; Don&

精华
帖子
种族
虫神
7#
发表于 2012-3-1 17:18:26 |只看该作者
这是什么题目?于是我只看懂了极具比较深奥的和几句简单的,至于其他就不知道了。

难道是要我们分类0 0?【提到过分类是一种工具】
订单收购中www】进击の虫神本虫神这么可爱【划掉】明明是男孩子!

主题

好友

积分

把拼图打碎了以后有一种想拼起来

精华
帖子

荣誉管理

8#
发表于 2012-3-1 17:31:15 |只看该作者
于是如果是改作文的话可以试试帮一下总之……
不过话说我刚想起来乃睡了是吧…… [s:133]
#交换荔枝盒企划启动!! ↑仍在不间断更新着~欢迎去转一转哦>w< I looked at him, and I saw myself. —— Hiccup

主题

好友

积分

因为本凤太有个性,所以就不用个

精华
帖子
9#
发表于 2012-3-1 17:55:50 |只看该作者
忘了講,Big Bang theory 應該要 capitalize 吧?
還有,你要大家怎麼幫你啊......
Your brain has two sides, the left and the right. The left has nothing right, and the right has nothing left.

主题

好友

积分

本尊快成雌的了- -

精华
帖子
10#
发表于 2012-3-1 18:49:04 |只看该作者
我还小…什么都没怎么看懂....但有些还是看懂了的
我们,永远是亡灵!!!!!!!!!!!!!

主题

好友